Thursday, April 17, 2014

Vintage...like my posting habits?

Geeze, it's been a long while since I've had the time to write about, buy, or even think about cardboard.  But it's time to break my non-blogging ways, get some long overdue trade packages in the mail after cleaning out the backseat of my car last weekend, and get back on the card train (toot toot).

In the mean time, I dug a draft out of the archives for your viewing pleasure.


I believe most or all of these cards came from a local mall show back in 2007 or so, when my collecting interests were still taking shape.  All I knew was back then I rarely came across vintage, and these cards seemed awesome for a buck or less.
A few years later, I still agree with myself.

The Brock is unquestionably the gem here.  I don't have the same appreciation for men holding bats that Dimebox Nick does, but even I have to admit that red bat is pretty awesome.  As are the ridiculous white stripes on the batting helmet.

 The Yaz is probably the card I'm least excited about out of this group.  But it's a nice vintage issue of a HOF'er, and in pretty good shape. 

I have always had a soft spot for cards that commemorate a particular date, whether it's playoff games, milestones, or individual accomplishments.  This card definitely fits the bill, even if the Bucs weren't in the series.  Brooks Robinson making a diving stop?  Just icing on the cake.
Another nice looking '71 here, this Wilhelm actually met a few collecting interests that I didn't even have when I picked it up.  Wilhelm's long and atypical career path took him to Chicago for just 3 games in 1970, so this card captures a very brief period in time at the twilight of one of the more unique HOF careers.

4 comments:

  1. I love that Robinson card. He looks like an ant on it. I Was the photographer taking that picture from Cincinnati?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really like that Wilhelm card, great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to see a Wilhelm appearance around the blogs. It's even better to see you posting again, Mark. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete