Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Turn Back the Clock Tuesday

I'm still behind on scanning some new additions, but in the mean time here is a recent non-card pickup that instantly became one of my favorite pieces in my collection.

I've been slowly expanding my collection to include more game used items, and at the top of my wantlist have been the various styles of turn back the clock jerseys the Pirates have worn over the past few years.  The Pirates wore this jersey in the Sept. 9, 2009 game at PNC Park against the Reds, who also wore their late 70's style gray pullovers.

Cedeno started at shortstop in the game, though he put up an unimpressive 0-4 statline with one K.
The jersey is an example of the late 70's mix-and-match jerseys, and thought the Pirates have also worn both the black and yellow tops in TBTC games in recent years, the pinstriped is by far my favorite.  To date, the Pirates have only worn the pinstriped tops twice, in the 2009 game and previously in 2004.

Though Cedeno wasn't a player I was particularly fond of, both because of his inconsistent play and the fact that he replaced my all-time favorite player, Jack Wilson, at shortstop.  Still, this jersey is a rare piece, and looks amazing in person.  I haven't been able to find a photo of Cedeno from, but hopefully I can track one down soon.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mark, this is Nick from the "Dime Boxes" blog.

    I saw your comment on my birthday thread, thanks for the birthday wishes! Also, about the "Dime Box Dozen" need, I can't seem to find your email anywhere.

    If you could shoot me an email at nickpecucci AT sbcglobal DOT net, I'll send you my address. I'd love to find some Bucs cards to send your way in return as well.

    Thank you!

    P.S. -- Love those old school Pirates jerseys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about that, Nick. Email sent!

    ReplyDelete