Thursday, April 4, 2013

Check Out My Impulse Purchases: Pitt Panthers Edition

I've mentioned before that my college sports allegiances are complex.  In the late 90's, my dad had seats at Pitt Stadium.  He mostly had had to use the tickets to schmooze clients, but would usually take me to a couple games each season, including the final game at Pitt Stadium. 

I became a huge Pitt fan, Dan Marino became one of my favorite players, and that was that for the better part of the next decade and a half.  Until I ended up at West Virginia doing my graduate work  I suppose either way I'm cheering for blue and gold.  My fandom is a little more complex, but collecting is pretty simple: anything from either school has a place in my collection.  Of course the implosion of the Big East now makes it a cheer for both teams.  A little.

I've taken a little liberty with these additions: Barlow is the only player I really watched during his college career.  Brown and Jells were both players who I watched in the NFL, but their college careers came before I really took any interest in college ball, while Lewis was quite the irritation during the Backyard Brawl.

 The auto on this Lewis auto looks much more crisp in person, but I generally love the look of Leaf/Razor's products over the past few years.  Hopefully Lewis will get some more carries behind former Panther LeSean McCoy.

As I mentioned earlier, both these players are more memorable to me for their pro careers.  But it's nice to add a couple more old school college autos, and I love the old Pitt unis (though I prefer the current dark blue/gold color scheme).  A little uniform variety definitely makes the binder pages more enjoyable for a uniform junkie like myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment