Monday, August 17, 2015

Now THAT's Super!

Late last week, I finally got in some supplies for my latest round of customs.  The materials had been delayed by the fine timeliness of USPS, and then a few more days by a friend coming into town.  But I had some down time Saturday night to work on my newest creations.  And I have to say I'm pretty darn pleased.
I'll probably never own a T-206 Honus Wagner.  But a Superfractor is a fine consolation prize if I do say so myself.


There's an element of trial and error.  I learned that the more white space the better.  And cards with colored borders seem to really mute the awesomeness of the superfractor pattern.


I also tried a few cards with the standout player cutout that is common of most Topps Superfractors.  The cards came out amazing.  But I didn't feel like scanning them Saturday night.  When I came back to them Sunday evening, I found the colors that had been sharp and crisp were now blurred and melted together on the highlighted area.  I don't know if it had to do with the heat (it was pushing 90, and there's no AC in our office where the cards were stores), or has to do with the materials I used.  So there is definitely some more trial and error involved.

But...Superfractor!  I'm looking forward to playing around with the concept a little more, and probably making a complete run of Jack Wilson Supers from the custom designs I've been making.

This definitely opens up some exciting options, and I'm looking forward to playing around with these some more to refine my process.

6 comments:

  1. Those are really neat, hope to see more soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nick. It'll give me something fun to play around with.

      Delete
  2. Superfractors of vintage cards? Wow, you just turned my world upside down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it! I think I'm going to do a series of the RC's for all the Pirates stars (Wagner, Stargell, Clemente, Kiner, Bonds). They look really nice in person, though obviously I still need to work out some kinks.

      Delete
  3. Very cool. Hoping you do a "how I did it" post for these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes on the "how I did it" post!! I make customs and would love to make some cards like that with refractor technology.

    ReplyDelete