Friday, May 15, 2015

It's Show Time!

Cards have been on the back burner lately.  But not that far back.  Today is the first day of my own personal three day holiday: the Robert Morris card show.

I've written quite a bit lately about the state of card shows in the area, and if you're new to the party I'll make it short and sweet - they ain't so hot.

Bit this is a different cup 'o tea.  The three day show draws many of the bigger national dealers, and is always a gold mine for cheap vintage.  The modern selection seems to be dwindling each year, which causes problems for me.  Last year, I don't think I found more than one or two dealers with decent selections of singles from the more recent releases.  I've finished my team sets for all the early sets this year, but will be looking to track down some Gypsy Queen singles for my team set.  We'll see how it goes.

The double edged sword of the show is the cheap vintage has allowed me to knock out the vast majority of my vintage team sets.  But the down side is that also means far fewer cards to chase.  Looking at my want list for this year, almost all of my needs are early releases of Maz, Clemente, and Stargell or pricey high numbers.  Numerous copies of each card I need will certainly be available, but it becomes a question of whether I can locate a copy that falls into the price range I'm willing to pay.

If I'm not a zombie by the end of tonight, I'll hopefully show off some of my haul for today.  I'll be running over to the show after work, and hopefully if everything breaks just right I'll get there a few minutes before the doors open.

6 comments:

  1. Good luck, big shows like that are always a blast. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The show has been very vintage heavy the last couple years, so I was pleasantly surprised to find a good bit of modern this year. Hopefully there will be some more finds today.

      Delete
  2. Good luck! I'm living vicariously through you today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently I'm subconsciously shopping for you. Going through my finds last night I apparently bought doubles of a bunch of Topps Wal Marts and sparkles from two different dealers.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Nick. Day 1 went pretty well I think - a Clemente Kellogg's 3D for $.25 isn't too bad, right?

      Delete