Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Checklists, Checklists, and Checklists

One of the things I have loved (and at times hated) about switching the bulk of my Pirates collection over to binders is that it has given me an excuse to flip through my collection countless times.  It's been slow going, and I sure wish the project would just get finished.  But it has always allowed me to appreciate some cards that otherwise got glossed over in my collection.
Like this one.  It's vintage.  It's technically a Clemente.  But honestly, it was the type of card that I was thrilled to find for about $1 at a show, cross off my list, and move on to the next item to hunt.

Just like checklists, so much of my collecting seems to revolve around tracking down the cards I don't have rather enjoying the piles and piles I have.  I guess it's fairly natural in this hobby.  Or at least I hope it is.

One of my goals for this year is to enjoy the cards I have just a little bit more, and shift some of that time spent shopping for new ones into flipping through what I already have (and saving a bit of change in the process).

So I'm happy I was able to check this card off my needs list.  I'm thankful some 8 year old kid didn't feel the need to put this checklist to use.  But I'm also damn happy that I can enjoy this piece of cardboard in my collection.

5 comments:

  1. Checklists rule! I mean, how else could you have found a vintage Clemente for a dollar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazingly enough, my entire vintage Clemente run (which basically means 68-73) came for no more than $5 a card. Of course nothing beats my '59 Clemente for a quarter.

      Delete
  2. Great checklist! (something I don't say very often.) And yeah, taking time to enjoy the cards you have is important and easy to lose sight of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels like so much of the hobby is new pickups. There have been occasions where I open a box and come across a run of 30 or 40 cards I had completely forgotten about buying a few months earlier. I'm trying to avoid that happening again haha

      Delete
  3. On the one hand, it's the joy of the hunt. Always love to check of the last few of a want list that you've been chasing for a long time.
    But I do find that there are some sets that I don't know that well until certain details are pointed out on blogs or reviews. I spend a lot of time sifting through looking at the numbers, but don't necessarily take the time to look over the pictures, write-ups, and graphics on the rest of the card. It is slightly tragic to collect a whole set (or rainbow, or team set) and then stuff it in a box and never look at it again. Every now and then when I've got everything checked off an put away (how often does that happen? :) ) I like to sift through a binder or box of something I haven't looked at for a while and just enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete