Sunday, April 26, 2015

Customs: Phase Two



I've had my team of crack scientists hard at work in recent months trying to find a way to produce more advanced customs.  The standard stuff has been a ton of fun.  But what about making my own parallels, inserts, foil cards at home?  How awesome would that be?

It's been a fair bit of trial and error in recent months.  Lots of researching online, buying a big ole pile of various materials, and a garbage can full of scraps of failures.

After enough trial and error to have me pulling my hair out, I finally have some results I'm happy with.

I'm finding the lighter colored material is best to make the card image visible.  I tried some darker colors, like reds and blues, but the image ends up looking washed out.

The one above is on a white sparkle material, though it doesn't come through great in the scan.

There's definitely still room for trial and error - perhaps playing around with the colors to try to get the images to be a little more vibrant.

In person, they look pretty cool, and the images come through more.  So maybe we're still in the design and development phase.  But this definitely opens up some cool new options.  Back to being a mad scientist I go!

9 comments:

  1. You forgot the evil laugh part. Those are looking good. Can't wait to see how they progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The evil laugh was more of a sad cry when I think about how many hours it took just to get this far. I really need to learn to just be happy with the shiny cards the companies put out...

      Delete
  2. You're going to make like 30 different color variations of these too, aren't you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see your sparkle, bubble, green, diamond, silver framed variations numberd /7!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. It's actually a vinyl sticker, similar to a bumper sticker. I'm still working out the kinks, but I'll post a tutorial once I get the process worked out a little better.

      Delete
  5. Reminds me of mine: http://thecollectivemind.blogspot.com/2010_07_01_archive.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy how many more parallel types Topps has created since you posted that!

      I'm looking forward to reading your blog, btw. I don't know how it's slipped under my radar until now.

      Delete