Friday, March 15, 2013

Can't Cutch This

The good news:


Now that the Pirates finally have a star player getting national media attention (which neither Brian Giles nor Jason Bay [anti-Canadian bias?] received), we finally get a player in all those cool looking insert sets Pirate players always got excluded from.

The bad news:
Bye bye card budget.

I'm not a fan of the recent trend of Flagship Sp's.  Maybe set builders like them (I'd imagine not) and case breakers love them.  But it's really just an extra card to chase, typically with an awesome photo that I would much rather have seen them use for the base card in the first place.  None the less, Cutch is looking quite dapper on this card, and for $3 I was happy with the price.

Topps has surprisingly stepped up their game in the insert department in 2013.  The Chasing History inserts are among my favorite designs in years, and these Cut to the Chase inserts look great.  I'm happy to see more die cut inserts making a comeback, though they are far less intricate than the 90's laser cut cards.  I'll have to pick up the Clemente Cut to the Chase at some point.
And finally another of those pesky gold refractors.  I'm sure you're all sick of reading about them by now.  Shiny.  Black.  Gold.  Awesome.  Fin.

No comments:

Post a Comment