Sunday, February 7, 2016

Pirate Autograph Project: #2


Yesterday I went with a modern player.  So let's dig a little deeper.



From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I absolutely adore this card.  I love the colors on the sky and pine trees, and it's a really unique look.  In retrospect, I wish I had been able to acquire a copy in better condition.  But I got this card signed in high school, and I think at the time my priority was to track down the cheapest possible copy I could find.  And in the days before COMC, that could be a tall task on ebay.

Castiglione played for the Pirates from 1947-1953, seeing regular duty for some rough teams during '49-51.  He was a pretty effective utility player, splitting most of his time between third and short, but also seeing duty in the outfield and at first on occasion.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful card indeed! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your Pirates autos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm looking forward to showing them off. There are some non-card items I haven't looked at in a few years, so that should be fun.

      Delete