Friday, November 7, 2014

Are You Not Entertained?

Typing a blog post with a cat on your lap?  Tough.  Working Photoshop with said cat in said position?  Mission: Impossible.  But we're always up for a challenge here at Battlin' Bucs.

I kept my focus on some of my favorite designs from the late 90's (I hope this isn't getting too redundant...)  I feel like something in the simple beauty of 1999 Fleer Tradition is lost in the fact that the gold foil stamping tends to get lost in the photos.  But the red foil Warning Track parallel pops a lot better, in my opinion.







After trying my hand at some more basic designs, I decided to tackle a bigger headache.  1998 Donruss Signature Series is quite possibly one of the nicest autograph designs ever created, even if the checklist isn't quite as extensive as earlier releases.

I started with the traditional red bordered version, but decided to tweak it a bit for a Pens themed custom.  This bad boy will be heading out in the mail next week, and I may decide to try to track down some other former Pens.

And with another '98 gem, 1998 Topps is one of my favorite Topps releases.  How can any Pirate fan not love the Clemente reprint inserts?  This is one of the few times I really like the look of text replacing foil stamping.











4 comments:

  1. Great customs man! Love the Morris!!!! I wish we had used that pick on a higher upside guy like Jakob Gatewood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was a shame that Morris never made it into any Major League sets aside from a few Panini products. I was hoping we would take a biggest risk with the pick, but I'm still hoping the guy we picked pans out, continuing the Ricardo Rincon trade for eternity.

      Delete
  2. I, too, am a big fan of the Warning Track parallels from '99 Fleer Tradition. Very underrated. Can't say I'm a big fan of '98 Topps (aside from the Clemente tributes, of course), but that custom is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. '98 Topps is one of those sets my brain tells me looks hideous (seriously, what's up with the repeating logo pattern behind the nameplate??? That was a pain to recreate!), but gives me the warm and fuzzies of cracking packs at the now-closed LCS with my dad after baseball practice. I will say I greatly prefer the gold and silver borders of '98-00 to the parade of white borders we've suffered through since '08.

      Delete