Tuesday, November 4, 2014

What Was Your Favorite Year to Collect?


This year has been both one of the busiest and slowest in my collecting life.  I made my first trip to the National, have blown by many of my collecting goals for the year, and have added some great cards to my collection.

But I have also had almost zero interest in the cards released this year.  Aside from participating in a few group breaks and buying maybe a dozen cards on ebay, I have done little to add 2014 cards to my collection this year.  I don't know that what has been released has changed dramatically from the past two or three years.  But at this stage I couldn't care less about Gypsy Queen or A&G.  I don't want to chase 30 different Topps parallels.  And I sure as heck don't feel like shelling out the money for high end products that will leave me with the same swatches of fabric I can find in from a $2 pack.

It may sound jaded.  Well, it definitely sounds jaded.  But I still love collecting.  And this year has also given me the chance to reconnect with the things I absolutely love about this hobby.  I made a lot of progress on transitioning my 13,000+ Pirates cards from boxes to binders, neatly organized by year and set.  The chance to go through me entire collection time and time again, placing the cards in the appropriate pages and getting to see the parallels all lined up together or that team set finally fill up its pages has been a lot of fun.  And I also started playing around with recreating some of my favorite designs for custom cards.  It's been a blast breaking down each element of my favorite designs and seeing what really makes the card work.
So I ask you:  What was your favorite year to collect, and why?

For me it was 2001.  It was the first year we had a season ticket package as PNC Park opened.  A slick fielding rookie shortstop for the Bucs sparked my interest in a focused player collection.  Donruss came back to the hobby, and delivered some fantastic products.  And a rookie class driven by two true, unquestionable rookies that will end up in Cooperstown someday soon had the hobby buzzing.

Packs were still fairly reasonably priced, and most products came in in the $3-4 range.  Game used cards still meant something, and despite the rise of sticker autos there were some really nice products released.  And the rise of the numbered card was just hitting its stride, with almost every product yielding a nice number of serial numbered cards without the number or creativity of the parallels yet reaching mind-numbing levels.

Runners up:

2005 - 3 major manufacturers, a ton of products, and what felt like a billion parallel cards to chase.  And at year's end Donruss went out in style, delivering some of the most loaded products the hobby has ever seen.
2000 - My first year back into collecting.  There was nothing that could beat a trip to the LCS after school, and a time when there were still probably 5-6 card shops within half an hour of my house.

So let's hear those stories of fond nostalgia.

8 comments:

  1. For me it was 1988. I will still never forget the jealous stares I received when I pulled a Mark McGwire rookie cup card out of the first pack of 1988 Topps sold in my LCS. It's amazing to think that that card fostered jealousy, but it was a different time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who got excited about rookie cup cards. I loved the 2000 Warren Morris rookie cup card - I think the most recent Pirate to have it before that was Mike Dunne in '88 or '89.

      Delete
  2. In recent times, I'd have to say 2005 for football, just a great rookie crop that year and the products were pretty awesome. For baseball I'd give 2008 or 2005 the nod, lots of fun affordable stuff. Of all time I'd say 1989 as it was my first year really paying attention to baseball and I loved the Topps design from that year. That and it was fun to watch the Billy Ripken craze hit my LCS and watch boxes and packs of 89 Fleer skyrocket in price all because of the F word on the bat in Cal Ripken's brothers card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In terms of player selection 2011 was awesome for the PIrates. Lots of McCutchen, Walker, and Tabata. For overall fun factor I would probably pick 2004 or 05. Lots of choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't even get me started on how many Tabata cards I bought in 2011. I wish I could say the same about Walker or Cutch.

      Delete
  4. For me, it would have been 1985. Cards were reasonably available at my local grocery store, and I loved seeing the rack packs with Eric Davis, Mark McGwire, Dwight Gooden, or any Brewers on the front.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a tough one, but I think I'd have to go with 2006. It was the year I returned to baseball cards after an odd year-long venture into hockey. Topps and Upper Deck both came out with solid designs in '06, and Fleer was still kicking with a perfectly nice base set as well. 2006 was the year I started to give dime boxes a little more play as well.

    I really liked thinking through this question, Mark. I may have to develop my complete thoughts and whip it into a post on the blog one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a toughie. And I think anyone's answer could go any number of directions - there's the best year you've had as a collector, the best year for cards, or just those one or two magical years as a kid. It was just one of those things that come to mind with where my collecting habits have been lately.

      I think I was more interested in hearing everybody else's stories than my own thoughts on the subject, so I really look forward to reading a full post from you.

      Delete