Sunday, October 25, 2015

Topps Update Update

As a team collector, there have always been few things I enjoy more than the annual Topps sets.  After all, how else can you get a card of Corey Hart or Cesar Izturis as a Buc?  But even with two series and an update set, Topps tends to make some omissions both small and large each year.


And being a little OCD, that's just not gonna fly.
 So slowly I have been chipping away at creating my own Topps Update Update custom cards to fill in any gaps that the brain trust at Topps may have overlooked.
 It's tough to completely replicate the look of the foil-heavy cards from the mid 90's through today, but overall I'm pretty happy with how these have come out.
 Of course not every cup of coffee player even has photos available, so my checklists aren't entirely as comprehensive as I would have liked.  I'm still trying to think of some workarounds on those cases.
 But slowly my checklists are fleshing themselves out.  Apparently I'm slowly creating my own dime box cards.


3 comments:

  1. Custom dime box cards? Now THAT'S an idea I can get behind. Love all these, especially the Gary Matthews Jr. I only own one card of him as a Pirate (from 2002 Topps Heritage), and I'm not sure any others were produced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't give me ideas, Nick. Matthews also has a card from 02 Victory. I'm almost certain I have an extra of it, so I'll toss it in your pile. He and David Ross were two guys I would have liked the Bucs to give a longer look to during some terrible seasons.

      Delete
  2. Yep, these are all printed off. I have them in a separate page with the Topps team sets in my Pirates binder for each year.

    ReplyDelete