Thursday, December 12, 2013

Let the Flood of Holiday Packages Begin


Yep, I'm at it again.  Yet another layover between posts here at Battlin' Bucs.  The new job is eating up more of my time and energy than I expected, including about an hour commute to the city each direction.  But enough about that...

Unfortunately the backlog on posting comes at the worst time, with a pile of trade packages, COMC shipments, and the like making a glorious stack of cardboard to share.

But I'll start with the small stuff first.

I put in an order with my buddy Mike at Tromp's Sports Cards.  His prices are already top notch, and he was running a 50% off sale over Black Friday weekend.

I was on a bit of an impulse buy streak prompted by some COMC purchases earlier in the weekend, so I may have gone a bit overboard.  The Pirate goodies will wait for another day.

Today's loot will focus on the "this has no place in my collection, but I reeeeeally like autographs" collection.  All the guys you'll see here are players who I wanted to add to the collection for some sentimental reason or another.  And at less than $1 each, it wasn't too hard to pull the trigger.

The must have card of the purchase was this Dan Wilson auto from 1998 Donruss Signature.


The 1998 Signature set may be one of the best designed autograph releases ever, in my opinion.  Wilson was a mainstay behind the plate in the Emerald City for most of my younger years, and the Mariners were always my AL team.  This is one I'm thrilled to add to my collection.

Speaking of '98 Signature, I added a few others from the set as well.


Hidalgo and Tatis were two guys who had more than their 15 minutes of fame in years gone by.  Their cards may not have much appeal now, but I was happy to add autographs of each guy for a mere $.79 each.

But it wasn't all bargain bin pickups.

I broke the bank with this beauty.

Carlos Lee was a fairly consistent slugger who deserves enshrinement in the Hall of Very Good and Lumbering.  For a whopping $1.79, I couldn't pass up the chance to grab this hasty scribble.  It may migrate over to the trade bait pile one day, but I'll enjoy it in my collection for a bit.


Like I said, I like quirky.  David Murphy was a fairly important piece of some strong Rangers teams this decade.  And while it kills the I love the 90's theme to this post, it was a no-brainer to add him on the cheap.


Speaking of no brainers, there's not really any rhyme or reason to my newfound love of Expos cards.  The team had a sweet logo, was an amusing north of the border anomaly, and doesn't really exist anymore.  But beyond that, my love of power hitters who have short bursts of power holds true.  My Expos collection has been growingly faster than I'm comfortable with.  Next stop, Peter Bergeron auto!

And of course the last purchase undoubtedly falls into the "well, it's only $1" category.

Erick Aybar doesn't really have much of a place in my collection, nor is he one of those players I have a weird affinity for.  But...well, the 52 autos are great cards, even if he was utterly unable to sign inside the box.  And Aybar is just the kind of player I can see ending up with the Pirates in a few years after his best days are well behind and he manages to drop below his previous career low batting average by 50 points.  And then I'll be glad to have this card.  I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment