Wednesday, September 23, 2015

"You Can Observe a Lot By Watching"

I was getting together a post after the reading that former Bucs prospect Walter Young had died when I read the news on Yogi Berra.

Yogi was my dad's favorite player growing up.  We were talking about him when I was home last week.  My dad asked if I knew anything about Berra's health, since he was up there in years.  My dad married late, and was into his 40's when my parents had me.  There were certainly drawbacks to having such a big generational gap growing up.  But it also meant I got to hear some really cool sports stories when we were at Pirate games together, to hear my dad talk about watching Clemente at Forbes Field and seeing Yogi Berra play on tv like the players had retired five years ago.

Yogi certainly left his mark on the game.  But it's the impact he had on my dad that I'll always remember him for.

No comments:

Post a Comment