Thursday, July 16, 2015

Catching Up on Customs

Things have been pretty slow around here when it comes to anything sports related.  Cards, customs...heck, even just watching a few innings of baseball.  I think I've watched exactly two complete Pirate games this year, and attended zero.  And oddly enough, I've been pretty much fine with that.

 But I had some free time this weekend, and decided to bust out Photoshop.  During my frantic custom making period a few months back, I ended up designing quite a few cards that never made it to print.  And after a little extra tinkering, had them ready to turn into real, live cards.  A few snips later, and these are my newest additions to the custom card wing of my collection
 This Jumpin' Jack Flash is one of the many customs I've turned out of my favorite player.  And this slight tweak on 1990 Donruss is definitely one of my favorite go-to designs.  For those who follow my arts and crafts projects, it might look familiar.  I printed a sparkly version in one of my test runs.  But I needed one that showcased the colors a little more in the collection as well.
And finally, one of my favorite newer creations.  This card is a take-off of a T-205 card featuring Pirates lefty Tony Watson.  It was tough to even come close to replicating the painted portraits on the original cards.  I was pleased with the final results when this one was completed, but since then I found a process that gives a more painted look to the photo, so an upgrade may be in store.

4 comments:

  1. I love Tony Watson. That custom is pretty sweet.

    I keep hoping that he gets a certified auto since he made the all star team last year, but so far nothing.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Matt. I've been in the same boat hoping for a Watson auto. He did a ton of of free autograph signings last season, but I haven't seen a single free Pirate signing this season. I'd love to get it signed.

      Delete
  2. Awesome customs! I think the Martin is my personal favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nick. It's one I made a loooooong time ago, but just finally got around to printing out. It is definitely one of my favorites that I've made so far.

      Delete