Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Jack and White

If you had told me 15 years ago I could buy a jersey card for $7, I might have told you that you were crazy.  If you had told me 5 years ago I would pay $7 for a jersey card, I would have told you I was crazy.  

But so is the life of the player collector.  A plain white swatch of jersey.  ...that some company decided to limit to 15 copies.  Insert rant about artificial scarcity here.  

But the really amusing part is that the card itself?  It's identical to the base card.  And the swatch, more or less, identical to the patch version.  The patch version numbered to 100.  Yep, somehow the patch is six times more rare than this plain 'ole swatch of fabric.
But with how infrequently I'm able to land new cards from the ever-shrinking list of Jack cards I need, I was happy to overpay to land this guy.  It's the only copy I recall seeing for sale, and it's not like people are rushing to ebay to dump their really rare plain white jersey swatches of middle infielders not named Vizquel these days.  But as for me?  I couldn't be happier with my plain white swatch of cloth.


1 comment:

  1. I really liked Throwback Threads, but like you mention the numbering will drive you crazy. This is exactly why I don't try and super collect a player.

    Glad you were able to track that card down.

    ReplyDelete