Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Great Sort

I must confess, dear reader, that the past few posts have been little more than thinly veiled attempts to stall for time as I get my recent card show finds sorted and scanned, all coming under the guise of card show related topics.  Such petty chicanery is far too unkind to you the reader, and you most likely deserve better.  But alas, perhaps a Victorian drawl and use of archaic language shall be enough to placate your cardboard yearnings.

But seriously. Yes, I'm stalling for time and riding this card show theme for all it's worth.  But it is a long process.  Or at least it is for me.

The buying part is the fun part.  When I leave a card show, I'm usually toting one (or more) brown paper lunch bags packed to the brim with new finds.  In the rush to pack as much browsing in as possible at shows, I usually go through cards pretty fast, so I often find myself saying "Oooo I don't remember buying that one" when I'm reviewing my finds a few hours later.

When I get home, the review process also typically includes putting all the cards in pennysleeves, and then organizing the piles into Pirates, Steelers, Penguins, college collections, miscellaneous cards for my other team pages, potential cards for TTM/IP autos, and finally anything I might want to resell or trade.

From there, everything needs entered into my respective spreadsheets for Pirates, Pens, Steelers, WVU, Pitt, and autographs.  And then scanned.  And since my scanner is about 8 years old, manually cropped in photoshop. 

If that isn't enough of a headache, I then have to deal with photobucket's idiotic new interface to upload all of my scans, and then enter the url's into my Pirate spreadsheet beside the corresponding card.

It's a tedious process that some days (like the past few weeks) I can't bear to stomach, and other days I find somewhat enjoyable.

I'm sure there's an easier way.  There has to be.  Right?  So feel free to share your post-show process.  I'd love to hear how other (presumably more organized) people go about dealing with their newfound piles of cards.


No comments:

Post a Comment