Monday, October 27, 2014

Custom Creations


Some more customs came down the pipeline over the weekend.  I've been slowly working my way through many of my favorite designs from the 90's and early 00's.  The 2000 Topps set will always be my favorite, but 2001 was a pretty nice followup.  I busted a ton of Series 1, and really enjoyed opening the packs and the unique green design.

The design was actually pretty fun to recreate.  But one of the downsides of cards from this era is the prevalence of foil stamping.  I have yet to find a way to really replicate the foil look in photoshop.  There may be a way, but it's definitely not something I have in my bag of tricks.  The end result ends up looking a little bit flat, but I'm still pretty happy with how this one turned out.  It's not something I would print yet, but with a little tweaking I'm hoping I can bring one of my favorite designs to life.

The other creation was 1998 Aurora.  The set was a higher end product put out by Pacific, and featured some pretty cool cards on the football site.  Baseball never lived up, and the products were pretty forgettable in my opinion.

But the football side was a little more exciting, helped in part by rookies of Manning and Moss.  The football design features a weird reimagining of the team's logos as medieval coat of arms, somewhat similar to soccer club logos, in the lower right corner.  I decided to forgo those for now, but I must admit I think the weird shields were actually part of what drew me to the product.  I remember my dad buying me a box of this from the LCS for Christmas one year, so it holds some special significance to me.  It's a pretty fun design.  Again the lack of proper foil stamping takes something away for me, but it's a cool set that was fun to deconstruct.  

My next custom post will be going through the process of deconstructing and reconstructing a custom design.


No comments:

Post a Comment