Thursday, November 21, 2013

Going Old School


I've been writing quite a bit about my frustrations with modern cards.  And for good reason, if you ask me.  I still enjoy collecting.  Heck, I probably enjoy it more now than most of my collecting lifetime.  But there's just something about current releases that is far from awe inspiring for me.

It's easy to forget there was a time where Topps was still the only game in town, but perhaps things were a little less depressing.  Well, remember is far from the right word.  By the time I was born Fleer, Donruss and Score were all going strong.  Or at least...around. 

Still, there's something to be said for a nice vintage card.

Or in some cases, a not so nice card.

And then of course there are those that just fall smack dab in the middle.

Like this 1967 checklist.  I dug this out of a discount vintage box at the big yearly show in Pittsburgh last year.  I think the card cost $1, maybe even less.  It's in nice shape, and is unchecked.  Score.  And after all, it is a Clemente.  Err, it has his head.

So maybe it isn't a "true" Clemente card.  But it sure beats an ordinary checklist.  Do they even still make checklists?

No comments:

Post a Comment